KeepCup | Abigail Forsyth on the business of behaviour change, leading an industry, and championing sustainability
Abigail Forsyth is a leader in the global campaign to promote sustainability. She is the co-founder and managing director of the industry-leading brand KeepCup. Since launching the world’s first barista-standard reusable cup in 2009, KeepCup is now embraced by reusers all over the world, diverting millions of single-use cups each and every day.
Abigail has been honoured with an Order of Australia Medal for her outstanding service to sustainable design and has previously been an Inductee into the Australian Businesswomen’s Hall of Fame and received the Victorian HTC Start Up Award from the Telstra Business Awards.
Abigail has opened offices and warehouses in Australia and the UK, and set up hub operations in the USA to service growing consumer demand in over 76 countries around the world, but the business has stayed loyal to its roots. KeepCup’s HQ is located in Melbourne where Abigail lives with her family.
“I always forget that we’re actually a product business. I think I’m in a behaviour change business.”
— Abigail Forsyth, KeepCup
Forever Projects | Mark Dombkins
Mentioned in conversation…
- How the original design of the KeepCup was purposefully simple and similar to disposable cups to remove barriers to behavior change toward sustainability
- Growth of the KeepCup business, which started as a family affair and quickly expanded to offices in the UK, US, and Australia
- The decision to keep manufacturing in Australia and the UK, while having to offshore some products due to a lack of local production
- The rise of purpose-led businesses and business for good is becoming a popular trend, especially with the emergence of Gen Z as consumers
- Challenges in staffing a fast-growing business and the power in building a structured leadership team